Mukesh Ambani Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) Chairman created a buzz in Telecom industry by announcing his plans to unveil a Reliance Jio 4G mobile network in the country with, including making all domestic voice calls and roaming free, while asserting that these would be one of the cheapest telecom services.
Mukesh Ambani said the 4G network of Reliance Jio would cover 90 per cent of India’s 1.25 billion population by March 2017 and would eventually cover 18,000 cities and 200,000 villages.
Reliance Jio will offer users data services free for four months, after which it will offer 10 tariff plans starting at Rs 19 a day for occasional users, Rs 149 a month for low data users and Rs 4,999 a month for heavy data users.
The company is hoping that free calls, free national roaming and cheaper Internet access will help it rapidly ramp up to 100 million users. That compares with nearly 256 million users for market leader Bharti Airtel. Users of other networks can switch to Jio from September 5 using mobile number portability (MNP).
• Free data services for the first four months after the launch
• Free voice calls
• Zero Roaming charges
• Super-affordable handsets under the LYF brand, starting Rs 2999
• 45 plans at Rs.50 per GB
• Students to get 25% more data
• tariff plans starting at Rs 19 a day for occasional users
• Rs 149 a month for light users, Rs 4,999 a month for heavy data users
• To achieve 100 million customers in record time
• To be formally launched on September 5